August 22, 2017

Preservation

The work of the Society includes preserving and increasing knowledge of the history of the American people by the preservation of documents and relics, and the marking of historic spots, the recording of family histories and traditions.  It accomplishes this through the following committees:  Historical Landmarks, Lineage and Historical Records, Markers and Grave Locations of 1812 Service Personnel, and the 1812 Era Newspaper Collection.

The Society also urges Congress to compile and publish authentic records of men in civil, military, and naval service from 1784 to 1815, inclusive and to maintain at National Headquarters a museum and library of memorabilia of the 1784-1815 period.

Sites the Society supports the preservation of:

The Flag House and Star-Spangled Banner Museum
Flag House & Star-Bangled Banner Museum

Flag House & Star-Bangled Banner Museum

The Flag House, built in 1793, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. This birthplace of America’s Flag was the home of Mary Young Pickersgill, a renowned flag maker who, along with her mother, was assigned by Major George Armistead to create the 30 x 42 foot flag which was flown over Fort McHenry during the defeat of the British in the Battle of Baltimore in 1814. This venerable flag is now housed permanently in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., after undergoing extensive and costly restoration.
The Flag House is still standing and is now joined by a museum dedicated to the history of the creation of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the name given by Francis Scott Key who penned our National Anthem after observing the flag still flying over Fort McHenry during the battle.

 

Fort McHenry
Fort McHenry

Fort McHenry

The Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine occupies a preeminent position among the historic shrines and monuments of our country by reason of its special meaning in American history. It was a glimpse of the American flag waving defiantly over the ramparts of Fort McHenry that inspired Francis Scott Key to compose our national anthem. The Fort McHenry Committee encourages chapters to schedule programs on the history of Fort McHenry, as well as the battle during the War of 1812, when the military and the citizen-soldiers of Baltimore saved the city and the nation during one of the longest days and nights in Baltimore’s history.

 

 

 

Old Fort Niagra
Old Fort Niagra

Old Fort Niagra

The huge fifteen star flag that was taken from American troops stationed at Fort Niagara by invading British troops in December 1813, has now been returned to Old Fort Niagara and is displayed in new visitors’ center and museum. Old Fort Niagara Association and the State of New York raised the $6.6 million needed to convert the historic 1939 army warehouse into an environmentally-controlled facility suitable for housing and displaying this nearly 200 year old flag.

After the surrender of Fort Niagara in 1813 to British troops, the flag that flew over Fort Niagara from 1810 to 1813 was awarded by the British to Major-General Sir Gordon Drummond, whose descendants carefully preserved it in the Drummond family’s ancestral home in Scotland. The Old Fort Niagara Association (the not -for-profit organization that maintains and operates Old Fort Niagara) acquired the flag from Cherry Drummond, the Baroness Strange.  Old Fort Niagara is open and welcomes visitors every day in the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

St. Michael’s and All Angels Church
St. Michael & All Angel's Church

St. Michael & All Angel’s Church

St. Michaels and All angel’s Church was built first by the French prisoners held by the English at Dartmoor Prison and finished by the American prisoners. The first American prisoners arrived on 2 April 1813 and eventually totalled 6,553 of which 271 known died. The Churches Conservation Trust, which has saved and restored the church needs our continues interest and support.  They are trying to save many historic churches around the english countryside.

St. Michael’s has always been a special project close to the hearts of our Daughters and you have given generously. Your contributions are even more important as we approach the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, the 200th anniversary of the first American prisoners at Dartmoor (2013) and the 100th anniversary of the dedication of our beautiful stain glass window at St. Michaels Church (2010). Our window is in need of extensive repairs to the grout work and window guard which have suffered from the harsh Dartmoor climate and is estimated to cost about $100,000. A separate account has been set up by the Churches Conservation Trust for the window repairs.  We are also hoping to raise funds for an historical marker to place outside the church to explain the significance of the church to those visiting the region.

Window of St. Michael & All Angel's Church

Window of St. Michael & All Angel’s Church

Please borrow or buy (15.00) our new DVD which is 20 minutes long and made expressly for the NSUSD 1812 by Ron Joy the local Dartmoor historian. Share the story of St. Michael’s and Darmoor Prison with church and veteran’s groups. There is also a 2 volume history of the prison that can be ordered from England and an historical fiction written by Kenneth Roberts, The Lively Lady, which can be ordered from Amazon.